My Year in Haiti

My Year in Haiti
It's All About the Children

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Kony 2012 and Why I Want to Stay in Haiti

(Republished from Rager's Rages, Rants, and Ramblings post)


In the beginning, my dream was to go to Africa. I mean, doesn't everybody at some point or another have a vision of themselves in the Motherland doing something, whether it be missions work, humanitarian aid, or even just a safari? My initial interest was sparked after seeing the animated film, Hugo the Hippo. It turned me on to Zimbabwe and the political strife of the region. Later, as I started seriously thinking of what type of work I would do in Africa, I realized I wanted to work with children. I looked into several options.  For a few years now I've been looking into positions with assorted NGOs and charities in Zimbabwe such as the Zimbabwe Project,  a Canadian orphan care organization. But as I do not have a Master's degree in the areas they require, I had been unable to catch a break. I guess true experience and expertise in a field doesn't mean squat when you have shareholders to answer to. 


Eventually, I stumbled upon a brand new organization, Invisible Children. It is an advocacy group that works in Central Africa helping to raise awareness about the infamous Joseph Kony. Many people are talking about Joseph Kony due to the recent release of Machine Gun Preacher, starring Gerard Butler as Sam Childer's, the ex-drug addict, ex-con, motorcycle riding preacher that runs orphanages and rescue missions in Uganda. Also, IC recently released a half hour documentary on You Tube that is making the rounds on FB and Twitter and whatnot. If you haven't seen it yet, you can read about it, watch it, and pledge your support here: Kony 2012

As often happens, we have in our mind the picture of the work we want to do, but only God can reveal our true paths to us. I now see that each rejection was a way to leave me available to do this work in Haiti. Otherwise, I would have never turned my head from so many miles East to 1,700 miles south. The family I have discovered here provides so much for me in return. This island is magical and so many things have happened for me since I have arrived, an equal mixture of good and bad, a balance, that has helped me to develop personally as well as professionally. 

Now the time has come to decide if my one year will turn into two. I have a lot of reflecting to do over the next few weeks. It will take a lot of support from my family and friends, both emotionally and financially. This is where the metal meets the road. I'll be reaching out to each and every one of you and asking you to help me achieve my goal. This isn't easy for me to do, I hate sticking my hand out for money, but this is the only way I can continue to do this work without burdening the budget. 

Please consider helping out and sending your support to Have Faith Haiti and be sure to put in the comments section that it is in support of Michele Rager. 

I'd like to reach my goal of $15k for this year and $20 K for next.

Thank you and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment