My Year in Haiti

My Year in Haiti
It's All About the Children

Monday, October 10, 2011

Character Building - the Old School Way

Today I had the distinct pleasure of being surprised that one of the children whom I least expected to listen to me had learned a very important lesson. Little Slandie, pronounced Sah-lahn-dzee, came to me to tattle that some of the children had crushed a butterfly with some rocks.

She led me to the poor, unfortunate moth, who had been rendered incapable of flight, yet still had the ability to flap its wings and hop around. We performed alittle victim relocation service, using a stick to rescue him and place him in a nearby bush, out of reach of prying children. Then i rounded up the children anddid a little group interrogation. What i surmised is that Jonathan, our burliest 8yea old,was the leader of the pack. Iexplained how this made God sad when we harmed any of His creatures, and how this made Miss Michele very sad. We said a prayer of forgiveness, promised to be kind to one another, and went on our way.

Not ten minutes later I hear Djouna wailing like Sophie! Turns out wile the kids where waiting for us in the classroom, Jonathan decided to hit Djouna with a rock! Oy vey! Really? So I decided Jonathan needed to get more intimately acquainted with his weaon of choice of weaponry. We have a 40 ft shipping container coming in a week or so and we need to clear a space to pour a concrete pad to set it on. There are a boat load of rocks scattered in the yard where it will go. So, I set Jonathan upon the task of collecting the fist sized rocks and putting them in a pile.

He moved about 50 of them before begging to go back to class.

Character building - check
Lessons learned - check
Chores done - check

tune in next time for the continued misadventures of Miss Michele 

No comments:

Post a Comment