My Year in Haiti

My Year in Haiti
It's All About the Children

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Life in Haiti

So, I've lost over 30 pounds since I've been here. How you may ask? Mostly because it's so dang hot here I sweat and sweat and sweat. But fear not, it isn't water weight that I've lost. Maybe at first it was. But I'm up to 4 quarts of drinking water a day, some days more. So I know it's actual fat loss. I'mt having a hard time keeping XL shorts up. I have to cinch my belts so tight I look like Jethro (I'd say Ellie May, but I have a ways to go before I'm that cute!) Also, I hardly ever get to finish a full meal when I eat with the kids. Which is okay by me. The cook dishes out humongous portions of red beans and rice with vegetables. And the bowls of spaghetti? Faggedaboudit! I usually get a few bites in and the boys have finished their food and are looking for me to share!



I've taken to preparing food in my room also. I prefer to use whole grain and wild rices and fresh veggies. The veggies are expensive, though, so I keep it down to a minimum. This gives me some much needed alone time for a little while at least. Then once the kids are done eating they start to migrate up to my room and knock at my door to beg for stories, or DVDs, or just to hang out with me. I enjoy going out with friends a couple days a week, but the look of heartbreak in their eyes when they see me preparing to leave, I just can't bring myself to do that more often.

The Haitian nightlife is alive and kicking! On Wednesday I go with friends to the Art Hostel at the Cafe Des Arts. It is a night of social networking for foreign nationals and Haitians. There is usually music and drinking, sometimes dancing. But always there is networking. A lot of volunteers gather here and mingle. I have gotten to know a pretty great group of people from all four corners of the world. The only problem is, the Cafe is up the mountain in Petionville, and we are often home quite late. It makes the next day VERY long!

Last night we saw a concert, a Haitian band called Boukman Eksperyans. They were very good. I don't understand most of the words but enjoyed the rhythms.

Yesterday we finally had the 40 foot shipping container delivered. We spent about 4 hours unloading and barely made a dent in the contents. Crazy! How grand to have so many things donated! It will be pretty spectacular after the Detroit Muscle Crew completes their projects this weekend and everything is put to use. I predict these kids' lives will be so greatly enhanced!

One of the things I've been doing is to take each kid in turn to do some one-on-one English lessons. I am so blown-away at how much English they have mastered in just 6 months! Yesterday I was prepared to read a story to the preschoolers, (age 3 - young 5) and my interpreter wandered off to do a quick chore. The children didn't want to wait so I started the story without her. The 5 year old stood up and started to interpret the story for me. Now, I won't pretend that she was translating what I was reading word for word, but she came pretty darn close, between the English I was speaking, the pictures in the book, and the fact that I've read the story at least 15 times might have helped. But you have to keep in mind, a few months ago, when I first arrived, they were still too timid to use the little bit of English they had learned.

On a humorous note, today a young woman brought her 2 year old son in for a pre-interview. You will never believe his name: Darvinslie Hitler! We asked her if she knew who Hitler was and she said she thinks he had something to do with Apatheid! And how! lol! We explained to her that since she has no birth certificate for him, he would be better served if she didn't tell anyone that his name was Hitler. I suggested that Lincoln would be a better choice since at least Lincoln was responsible for freeing the slaves! Oy!

All for now. I've got work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment